Temple Israel was chartered on September 1, 1885 as a liberal congregation, which today is affiliated with the Union for Reform Judaism (URJ). It held services in various locations such as over the Isaac Harter Bank, above Maline's Department Store and under the drill floor of the Danton Independent Battalion of Infantry. The congregation's first building was the McKinley Avenue Temple, which was built in 1919 and served our congregation's needs until 1954 when the congregation moved to the 333 25th Street building. The McKinley Avenue Temple still stands and serves a Pentecostal congregation today. You can still see the Hebrew letters in the stained glass window above the door!
In January 2011, the Temple Israel building and land located at 333 25th Street N.W. was sold to Malone University. Temple Israel moved to a temporary location in the Canton Jewish Community Center building, located at 2631 Harvard Avenue N.W.
In July of 2012 the shared home of three Jewish institutions in Canton came together at 432 30th Street NW. Temple Israel, Shaaray Torah Synagogue and the Canton Jewish Community Federation.